Have you noticed how many women are stuck in a certain style or image – a fashion rut? They may look older than they are, or potentially younger. They blend into the crowd, sometimes apologizing for how they look while feeling frumpy and uninspired.
They probably tell themselves and others that looks don’t matter.
But of course, our appearance matters. We are judged in less than 7 seconds when we meet people for the first time and that first impression is largely based on how we look. How you look can draw people to you or push them away. It can build self-esteem or deplete it.
Are you stuck in a fashion rut? Ask yourself these questions:
- Have you had the same hairstyle for five years or longer?
- Are you afraid to move clothes out of your closet that no longer look good on you?
- Are you too busy to shop, apply makeup, get your nails done?
- Do you wear the same things all the time?
- Is your closet void of color? You wear black and gray because it is easy and they go with everything?
- Do you feel frumpy and uninspired when you leave your closet, look in the mirror before you leave for the day?
- Do you wear the same accessories every day or none at all?
- Do have a closet full of clothes yet nothing to wear?
If you answered yes to any of these questions you may indeed be stuck in a fashion rut. If this is you, don’t feel bad, you are in the majority. It’s like diet, time management, and self-care: these things are habits. How you dress and look, what you eat, how you spend your time, whether you take the time to prioritize yourself, are all habits and behaviors we have grown up with. If you want to make a change you need to change a long-established behavior – that’s easier said than done!
So do you just accept a fashion rut or are you ready to make a change?
First, you need to determine your WHY. Why would you want to change your style? Ask yourself these questions:
- Do I feel good about how I look?
- Do I feel confident and inspired when I get dressed?
- Do I feel current and relevant?
- Am I attracting people to me?
- Do I get compliments about how I look?
If the answer is no, the next question is do you care and why do you care? Do you want to grow a sales team, move up the corporate ladder, get more business? Are you ready to feel better about yourself, attract your partner… get a partner? For real change of any kind, you need to have a reason to want to make a change.
Once you know WHY then we move onto HOW. How do you move past your fashion rut and gain that closet full of clothes that you love? You can hire an image consultant like me to help you get there, but you can also start with going through your closet and thinking about which pieces you love. If you no longer like any item/s in your closet, then move them aside or give them away. There are countless women out there who would love and need them.
Forget the fashion rut! Why not have a closet full of clothes that you love and learn to put them together so you feel fresh, vibrant, confident, your personal best every day?
WANT MORE TIPS, TRICKS AND INFORMATION ON UPCOMING WORKSHOPS AND SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS? BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO CYNDY’S E-MAIL LIST AND JOIN THE CONVERSATION!