Remember when you were a kid in the summertime, how your skin seemed to retain a deep glow, your hair would achieve the kind of highlights we pay a fortune for now, and you had no concept of long term anything? Of course, we didn’t know the true effects of long term sun exposure on the skin either.
Did you know, use of sunblock lotion didn’t become widespread until the 1970s.
In actuality, a tan is a sign of skin damage. Skin tans in response to sun damage to your skin. Skin tanning is a sign your skin cells and the structures of your skin have been damaged, even if redness or peeling were never present.
But we love how a tan look, don’t we! The market has responded. We can have this fabulous look without the cost of our health? According to WebMD, Dermatologists now steer their patients toward sunless tanning products if they want more color on their skin. “It’s certainly much better than going out or going to a tanning salon and getting exposed to UV light,” says dermatologist Robin Ashinoff, MD, of Hackensack University Medical Center in New Jersey.
My research on the best sunless tanners led me to my next question – are tanned people perceived as more attractive? According to this article by Psychology Today, tanned individuals were perceived as more attractive than their untanned counterparts. However, when a tan or fake tan was more orange in color, the individuals would be perceived as more unattractive. So, here’s our list of which products are vetted to give you the perfect glow without making you orange:
- Arbonne Liquid Sunshine Tinted Self-Tanner, $46, one of my clients, Dianna Baltimore, swears by this one. Not only does it give you a natural-looking tan within 2 hours, but it’s also made with natural ingredients that nurture and moisturize your skin. Buy it through Dianna here.
- According to one of our Success thru Style Affiliates, Shelley Roberts, MAC’s Studio Face and Body Foundation, $39, is a great product if you need something that will multitask without rubbing off. It doesn’t, however, stain your skin so the glow is temporary. It’s also great at concealing imperfections and bronzing at the same time. Buy it here.
- Avoid skin-harming UV rays and get a safe glow at the same time with this two-in-one formula that includes a progressive bronzing formula as well as a dose of broad-spectrum sun protection. Supergoop! Healthy Glow Sunless Tan SPF40, $38. Buy it here.
- According to another of our Success thru Style Affiliates, Kristina Pernfors, this Subtle Tanning Lotion by Mary Kay, $18, is amazing. When used daily, you can build up a gorgeous color in about a week – and it has a lovely coconut/honeysuckle fragrance. Buy it through Kristina here.
- Bondi Sands’ Liquid Glow, $24, a shimmering, un-sticky dry oil that you can buy at Target.
- Josie Maran, $38, a quick-absorbing, super hydrating self-tanning body oil infused with 100 percent pure argan oil, coconut water, and aloe. Buy it here.
- NKD SKN Pre-Shower Gradual Tan Lotion, $20, for the impatient types (and those who just can’t stand that self-tanner smell), this is a pre-shower formula. Just apply, wait ten minutes, and shower away the cream – the color develops gradually, so it’s an easy option for maintaining your shade. Buy it here.
- Tan-Luxe The Body Illuminating Self-Tan Drops, $59, have you ever customized your shampoo or skincare? Now you can do it with your sunless tanner. This version allows you to add drops of the brand’s self-tanning formula into any moisturizer, dialing in your perfect level of tan. Buy it here.
- Need packable self-tanning towelettes to keep your vacation tan from fading? Try the super portable Tan Towel Self-Tan Towelettes, $29, for face and body. Buy it here.
If you have to be in the sun – use sunscreen! If you don’t have the time to sun worship but want to look like you do, maybe give one of these sunless tanners a try. Self-tanners are finicky beasts that require a bit of patience, some trial and error, and, most importantly, a really good formula. That’s why we did the work for you. Share your results or add to the list by posting in the Success thru Style Facebook group. Happy tanning!