Does Your Image Pass the Test?
You have 10 seconds to make a first impression. How you dress and groom yourself speaks for you even without you saying a single word. It’s not just what you’re wearing but how your clothes fit you.
How do you score on this image and style test? Give yourself two points for every statement that you can say “yes” to. This quiz applies to men and women so go for it!
- I know my personal brand, I always shop and dress with this in mind, I never wear clothes without thinking about what image they will project.
- I know about my body proportions and my body shape; I know what clothes look best on me.
- My clothes fit me very well. There is no pinching at the waist, my pant length is right where it needs to be, the cuffs of my jackets are just right.
- When people look at me they can tell right away that I’m someone who takes care of details. My shoes are polished, my purse or briefcase is of good quality, and my belt doesn’t show any hints of wear or change in waist size.
- My hair is more than cut, it’s styled by someone who knows how to make me look my best.
- My clothes are always clean and if a shirt or jacket needs pressing, it’s pressed. No one has to say to me, “Hey, did you know you have a stain on your shirt?” I take care of my clothes. I always present myself in a respectful way.
- When I shake someone’s hand, I’m never self-conscious. I groom my fingernails and don’t have chipped polish.
- I know which colors make me look the best. My wardrobe consists of only clothes that help me reflect my best self. Colors that don’t flatter me left my wardrobe long ago.
- My tailor knows me by my first name. When I purchase clothes I visit my tailor right away because he knows exactly what to do to help me get the best fit. I take pride in knowing that I’m someone who walks out the door every day in clothes that fit well. I never look sloppy or disheveled.
- I don’t wear too much cologne or perfume, people are comfortable around me.
- If you scored 18 to 20 points, read no further, you are most definitely conveying a strong, polished image that is making heads turn. I’m sure this will impact both your personal and professional success. Great job!
- If you scored 12 to 16 points, you’ve got some understanding of how image works for you or against you in the workplace. With a few tweaks, you’ll be on top of your image game in no time.
- If you scored 8 to 10 points, your image is not working in your favor. Don’t panic. But if you want to project a winning image you might want to consider making some changes. There are people who know how to do this and can help you along the way.
- If you scored 0 to 6 points, hmmm, I recommend you stop everything and find some assistance. Your personal image is your brand and your brand needs updating.
Thinking about yourself as a brand is a powerful concept and dressing this way is something you can do on any budget. It all starts with knowing who you are and deciding what image you want to convey. Getting to the point where you have a closet full of clothes that work for you takes time. By shopping with a plan, spending the time to think about how you look now and where you want to take your personal image will pay off. It will leave you feeling empowered and you will exude self-confidence.